Wednesday, March 15, 2017

New Year, new gear

New Year, New Gear

In my ongoing quest to spend as much money as humanly possible on gear, I've acquired quite a few new pieces of gear already this year.  Seriously though, a few of my key pieces of gear were starting to develop signs of wear.  Gear failure in the middle of a Scottish Highlands crossing would not be a fun experience. So here's what I've bought so far:

Montbell Versalite Rain Pants - ultralight at 3.6oz.  I haven't had a chance to test them out yet, but the size and weight seem accurate.

Outdoor Research Helium II Rain Jacket - 6.4oz - also very lightweight.  From all I've heard this is a great jacket.  No pit zips is a deal breaker for some, but my last jacket didn't have them either.

Montem Ultra Strong Trekking Poles - Now that I have a tent that requires trekking poles I decided I should buy new poles as my old ones are getting up there in age.  These seem ultra strong (like the name implies, I guess).  I've used them on a few training hikes without issue.  They do weigh a couple ounces more than my old poles, but they were also half the price of any other poles.  I went with the heavier aluminum because these are my tent poles as well.

Darn Tough 1/4 Merino Wool Cushion Hiking Socks - seem good so far!  I'm excited to see if these live up to their reputation.  What has become of my life?  Excited about socks?

Zpacks Duplex Tent - mentioned before in my TGOC 2017 post.  Full review coming, still haven't used it enough to really evaluate it as thoroughly as I'd like.


Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX boots - basically the mid-height, water-proof version of the shoe I wear.  I had some blister/foot problems last year in Scotland and I think it was from my feet being wet the whole time.  Hopefully this is a good choice.  They're comfortable and don't seem any heavier than the shoe version.

No comments:

Post a Comment