Friday, July 1, 2016

2016 TGO Challenge Day 9

2016 TGO Challenge Day 9

Day off in Braemar (0 miles)
Total Trip Miles:113
Saturday, May 21st, 2016

There's no map for today as it's a ZERO DAY!!  For those of you who don't know, a zero day is a day where you hike zero miles.  The only thing I HAD to do on my day off was buy a few odds and ends for my resupply.  I had shipped another box to myself at the hostel, so I was mostly set.  

My day consisted of eating, napping, watching tv in my room, and doing a bit of reading.  I met up with Kenny and Ava for dinner, and then we stopped at the Invercauld Arms again after, but only stayed for one drink.  They went back to their campsite and I went back to my room and fell asleep watching tv (oh, the luxury!).  

I also decided that since I had enjoyed Kenny and Ava's company so much that I would join them on their route, which would see me finish a day early, but the last 30 miles or so would be the same route I would have done on my own anyway, albeit a day later.  Also, since Kenny and Ava were finishing the day before me, they would have headed home before I had planned to finish originally, so I wouldn't have seen them again. 

A few pictures from around Braemar:
The house where Rober Louis Stevenson wrote Treasure Island

Close up of the plaque on the house

row of houses

The Invercauld Arms Inn

2 comments:

  1. I'm having a delightful time reading your blog, but I thought I would just stop to say that I must have stayed in Braemar a dozen times over the years on the Challenge and I had never known about the Treasure Island / Stevenson link!
    Thanks Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I can't really take credit for the Stevenson information as someone else told me about it and I'm sure I would have walked right by it multiple times without noticing.

      I read about most of your crossings on your blog when I found out about the challenge. I thoroughly enjoy your sense of humor in your write-ups.

      Delete