Wednesday, June 28, 2017

2017 TGO Challenge Day 4

2017 TGO Challenge Day 4

Laggan Locks (Great Glen Hostel) to Melgarve Bothy - 18 miles
Total Trip Miles: 62.5
Monday, May 15th, 2017

Day 4 part 1
Day 4 part 2
Day 4 part 3
We woke up to a constant drizzling rain outside.  Luckily we were warm and cozy in the hostel where we took our time getting ready while we waited to hear from Leslie's friend Mark.  We didn't leave the hostel until about 9:30, trying to give him time to get in touch with us.  We decided to walk to the Thistle stop cafe in Aberchalder, about 6 miles NE of us along the dismantled railway alongside Loch Oich, (also an alternate of the Great Glen way, I believe) since it was almost flat and figured that might not be so bad for Leslie's knees.
Railway Museum


Invergarry Castle


After a few miles the pain came back with a vengeance.  I could see on Leslie's face how much it was hurting her with each step, but Leslie toughed it out the entire 6 miles.  We arrived around noon and had a nice lunch at the Thistle Stop along with three other challengers who we had met on night one.  It took a while for Mark and his girlfriend Linda to show up, but they came armed with all sorts of supplies to help Leslie out.  In addition to her knees she also had a nice assortment of blisters.  

Leslie went outside to walk up and down a small hill with the knee brace to see if it made a difference.  Unfortunately it didn't and Leslie had to make the tough decision to drop out of the Challenge.  We said a relatively quick goodbye as it was already about 2:30pm and I still had quite a few miles to do over the Correyairack pass.  Mark and Linda said they would drive Leslie back to the hostel where she would be within walking distance of the train.  
Linda, Leslie, and Mark
Thanks again to Mark and Linda for helping out a friend in need!!

I realized I probably wouldn't make it to Garva bridge, which was the original stopping point for the day, having to go over the Correyairack.  I decided to aim for Melgarve bothy, and if I felt good and had time when I got there I could push on further.  
Bridge of Oich

I pushed the pace a bit, estimating I had about 12 miles to do and it was already close to 3pm.  The path was almost directly behind the Thistle Stop, but not that easy to find. The path lead steeply up the back of Druim Laragan.  Once I came around the south side of the hill, I set out NE across what would normally be bog to find the LRT that ran parallel to General Wade's Military road for a while.  I followed that path south until I could see General Wade's road and Blackburn of Correyairack bothy.  I again headed across the bog until I reached the bothy.

There were 4 people there already, and they were all staying the night.  It was about 4:30 in the afternoon at this point, so probably a safe bet.  After having a brief conversation on what a disaster Trump is for the US and the world as a whole, I headed off.

After crossing the bridge about 1 1/2 miles after the bothy, the rain and wind both started.  It would rain until after I crossed the pass.  Yet another pass that I go over in Scotland where I have no view, just like the Lairig Ghru last year.  I took a few pictures but my camera went into my backpack before I hit the top of the pass since it was raining quite hard.

Heading up the Correyairack before the rain got too bad
While not the most visually appealing thing, the power lines were a useful landmark
in near white-out conditions near the top of the pass

I was soaked, cold, and tired by the time I crossed over the top of the path, and some water had found it's way into one of my boots.  I stopped briefly to have a snack as it was about 6:30pm.

Deer on the way to Melgarve
I arrived at the bothy shortly after 8pm, went inside to say a brief hello, then pitched my tent.  Word spread pretty quick that I had a cuben fiber tent and everyone took turns coming to take a peek at it.  I sort of felt like a used car salesman going over the features of the tent time and again.  I didn't mind though, as it was a good way to talk to everyone who was at the bothy.

My tent and Melgarve bothy
I made myself dinner and got into my warm sleeping bag for the night.  I knew I had about 3 miles extra I would have to make up the next day since I had a bed booked at the Newtonmore hostel for the following night..  

No comments:

Post a Comment