Thursday, July 6, 2017

2017 TGO Challenge Day 5

2017 TGO Challenge Day 5

Melgarve Bothy to Newtonmore Hostel -  19.25 miles
Total Trip Miles: 81.75
Tuesday, May 16th, 2017

Day 5 part 1
Day 5 part 2
Day 5 part 3

I knew I had some extra miles to catch up on, yet I still took my time getting packed up and getting out of camp.  I was ready at about the same time as the two couples who I had camped near last night and decided to walk with them for a while as we were going the same way, although I would be pushing on further than them at the end of the day.

The couples were Steve and Maggie and Fred and Sue.  Steve and Maggie were from Utah, and Fred and Sue from the UK.   For all of them it was the first challenge.  The path went along the River Spey, and between the rain showers we had some magnificent views.  
Along the River Spey


Garva Bridge




At Garva bridge we took the route that splits to the north of the River and then along to Spey Dam.  It was on a dirt road and there was quite a bit of construction traffic.  It seemed like a truck was passing us every minute or two, and few slowed down.  We had to keep dodging to the side of the road (into the wind so the dust didn't get in our eyes).  We crossed back onto the south side of the river at the dam and walked through some pastures for a bit.  We stopped for a lunch along the Spey before we hit the A889 road.



Lunch break

We followed the A889 for about 2 miles to the Pottery Bunkhouse Coffee shop where we enjoyed some refreshments.  Coffee and cheese scones fresh from the oven (with extra butter).  The scones were excellent and we even got phone reception. 

It was starting to get late in the afternoon and I still had 7 or 8 miles to go to reach Newtonmore.  I said my goodbyes to everyone and headed out.  The rest of my day was on roads, so I put in my headphones for some audio motivation and set the cruise control.  A couple pictures from the road walk:



I did reach the center of Scotland, at least according to this rock.  Not sure if this is legit or not.



Nice stone wall
 

There were lots of little lodges on the road that I'm assuming people can rent
Crossing the River Truim
The small road I was on connected with the A9, but luckily there is a very nice bike path that runs parallel to the road most of the way to Newtonmore.  Around 6pm I came upon a little cafe right off the bike trail and I couldn't resist popping in for a quick snack.
My snack
The first stoplight I had seen in Scotland (outside of Glasgow)
View on the way into town

After my quick break it was another 1.5 miles or so into Newtonmore, where I checked into the Newtonmore Hostel (Thanks to everyone who helped run the hostel while the challenge is going on, everything was great!!) .  After getting settled and showered I went across the street to the hotel restaurant where I had a very nice meal and a pint.  



After dinner I went back to the hostel, did my resupply, and promptly fell asleep.  Little did I know that a raving drunkard attacked the hostel a little after 9pm, but apparently I slept through it.  From what I was told the next morning he really wanted to get inside the hostel for free cake and knocked the sliding glass door off the track.  The police had to be called and the man was taken away.  So yeah, I guess I was tired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment